Lost fillings are a common reason for visits to the dentist. There are many possible causes, such as the passage of time, poor dental hygiene, teeth rubbing, biting something hard or sticky. When a filling has fallen out, you need to go to the dentist as soon as possible, because an unfilled tooth is exposed to the harmful effects of bacteria and irritants.
A filling is a dental filling of a tooth defect. Its task is to protect the tooth tissues against infection, food residues that are difficult to remove, the effects of cold or heat on sensitive tissues, but also the aesthetic appearance of the tooth in which e.g. caries has appeared. It should be remembered that no seal is forever and it happens that it falls out.
Why did the seal fall out?
. Following are the possible causes:
- biting hard things – biting very sticky or hard foods, such as a nut, or objects can damage the tooth and filling,
- tooth or tooth root injury ,
- failure to comply with the recommendations after filling , e.g. regarding breaks from eating and drinking,
- development of caries around the filling – weakens the bonding of the filling with the tooth tissue,
- dental plaque (improper dental hygiene) – can separate the filling from the dental tissue,
- bruxism – frequent grinding of the teeth and clenching of the jaw – over time, it causes abrasion not only of the tooth, but also of the filling,
- passing time – the longer we have a seal, the greater the likelihood that it may fall out,