On January 27, 2023 , 14-year-old Giorgia Green from Derby, UK, was found dead due to heart failure. Before her death, the girl had sprayed deodorant in her room.
After the death of their daughter, their parents learned that even before their daughter’s death, many children had died due to deodorant particles entering the body.
The British Aerosol Manufacturers Association responded by saying there were "clear warnings" on deodorants.
The law is that aerosol deodorants should have a warning printed ‘keeping children out of reach’.
But Georgia’s parents say it’s written too short on the spray. He says that many parents buy deodorant for their children without noticing the warning.
"People don’t know how dangerous the material in these tins can be. ‘
"I would like this to happen so that no one in the country, but in the world, has to go through the trauma that we are going through," he said. We don’t want our daughter’s death to go in vain. ‘
Giorgia was autistic and her father says she loved spraying deodorant on the bed and sheets because her scent made her feel comfortable.
"His scent gave him a sense of comfort. ‘
"If she was restless, spraying it would give her comfort because this deodorant was used by my wife. ‘
On May 11, 2022, Georgia’s brother found her unconscious.
"The door to her room was open, so it’s not like she was in a closed room. ‘
The ‘exact amount’ of deodorant sprayed is not clear, but it will be higher than what is usually sprayed. ‘
"At some point pulling him in with a breath made his heart stop working. ‘
An investigation into Giorgia’s death resulted in it being termed an "accidental death".
The medical cause of death has not been confirmed, but it has been said that the circumstances in which the death occurred may have been due to particles released from the aerosol entering the body with breath.
Between 2001 and 2020, 11 death certificates had ‘deodorant’, according to the UK’s Office of National Statistics.
However, deaths can be higher because death certificates do not always contain specific death-causing material.
Giorgia’s death certificate mentions ‘entering the aerosol body through breathing’ instead of ‘deodorant’.
Butane was one of the leading causes of 324 deaths between 2001 and 2020.
The Bureau of Statistics says that this material has been linked to many deaths and that "inhalation of butane and propane gas can cause a heart attack."
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) said excessive spraying of deodorant caused deaths